Thursday, March 31, 2011

Sew Along Day 2 - Sewing By Hand



Hand sewing is hard! It's been a long time since I've actually done any needlework other than a few stitches here and there. With Day 2 of the Sew Along for Japan, I was sitting for almost 2 hours with needle and thread working on these sweet little faces:

The felt for the hair was sewn by machine, but everything else was all hand stitching. I was tempted to give up on the eyelashes and just draw them on with my trusty black Sharpie, but I stuck with it! It is for a good cause afterall. I also doubled up on the stitching for the smiles; I was using a really pale pink thread, and I wanted the mouths to show up a little more.
(Sorry about the picture quality - it was 11pm and I was ready for bed. One of these days I'll get my photo/light box setup and be able to take nice pictures no matter what time of day. But, getting that thing set up is kind of like map folding, and I'm no good at folding maps.)

So, I'm still a day behind everyone else participating in the Sew Along, but that's okay. I was hoping to get caught up last night, but those little boogers pictured above took longer than I anticipated.

Tonight will be the last part of the sewing - everything will be sewn onto the t-shirts, and I'll be finished, hurrah! Check back tomorrow...

No comments: