Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Craft Envy and the Working Mom

Confession: I have serious craft envy. I have a day job where I have spare time throughout most days; this spare time is generally spent hopping around to different crafty blogs to see what others are creating out there. I see so much creativity and think: these are moms, like me, but they don't have a day job. This makes me envious. Then I think, well, if I didn't have to work, I could get so much done! I could work on all of the projects that I see and want to try for myself, but just don't have the time! Sewing, baking, Cricut crafting, fun with mod podge...oh yeah, and spending more time with the kidlets fits in there somewhere, too.

I realize that the grass is always greener on the other side, and I have no idea what daily life is like for these other craft mavens. Maybe they're envious of someone like me for getting to come in to an office full of adults having adult conversations everyday (it's not all it's cracked up to be, let me tell ya). Not likely, but you never know.

For now, I do have to work, so I have to make do with late-night craft sessions and cramming too much into weekends. I have to remind myself to be thankful for what I have: a job that supports my family, two beautiful healthy children, and a husband who puts up with me jumping from project to project without rolling his eyes too much.

Maybe I'll just stop sleeping so I can finish everything I want to do!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I do late night crafting too...crafts don't get done when kiddos are awake (unless I want "help"). Don't let crafting be what calls you to stay home...you'll be sorely disappointed ;)