Thursday, April 7, 2011

To Grandmother's House We Go...

Note: This blog may or may not contain information about crafting.. :) Tomorrow night we're hitting the road, driving from Atlanta to the middle of Pennsylvania. Overnight. With a 4-year old and an almost 2-year old. It's a 12-hour drive. To say I'm not looking forward to it would be the understatement of the year. So why do we do it? Because flying the four of us to Harrisburg would be ridiculously expensive and too much of a hassle. Why not take the train? Honestly, I would love to take the train; but again, ridiculously expensive, and it would actually take longer than driving would. Go figure.

So, to grandmother's house we go. Over the river and through the woods, times 5 (at least). We've made this drive so many times, it really barely phases us anymore. We've come to the conclusion that traveling at night is the best option for us; there's less traffic, the kids sleep at least part of the way (bliss), they need fewer stops and less entertainment. Of course they're generally so excited that they're going to see their grandparents that they finally literally pass out from sheer exhaustion. But that's okay, I'll take it.

If I had been thinking over this past weekend, I would have made up some entertaining projects for the kidlets to do while they're literally jumping up and down in their car seats with excitement. I've been wanting to make "I Spy" bags for quite a while, but for some reason just haven't gotten around to doing it yet. That actually might be a fun project to do with Grandma while we're there, then they can play with them on the way home. Hmmm...

Also while we're visiting, I'm planning to tackle a few craft projects, such as the simple skirt I mentioned yesterday, a fabric business card holder or two, and maybe a few zippered pouches.

The one downside of visiting my parents (aside from the drive) is the lack of high-speed internet. I'm not sure how I'm going to survive! I can't even pick up 3G on my iPhone most of the time, since they seem to live in a 3G void. How can that happen in this day and age? But, I committed to posting for 30 days, so I'm going to do it. I might have to hang out at McDonalds everyday and take advantage of their free wi-fi, but at least they have a playground...

No comments: