Saturday, April 2, 2011

Sew Along for Japan - Complete!


Finished! It only took 5 days instead of the 3 that were actually planned, but the important part is that it is done. I'm quite pleased with the way the shirt came out; it's almost like I'm not the one who did it. I was worried the entire time I was sewing the appliques on the shirt that I would sew the shirt together, or that somehow the sleeves would end up attached to the hem. Luckily, I didn't have a single issue!

This was the first time I've ever appliqued a shirt, or anything, without using my embroidery machine. I have to say, I have a much greater admiration of those crafters out there who applique with a regular sewing machine all the time. I'd gotten spoiled by just loading an applique pattern on to my trust embroidery machine, and letting it do all the work. My poor little sewing machine has been lonely for far too long.

So, this lovely little shirt will be on the way to Japan via California very soon. I'm working on another shirt exactly like this one for my 4-year old (Pookie), and she's very excited about it. I've been talking to her about how the Japanese people have had a terrible tragedy, and that I made this shirt to hopefully make a little Japanese girl smile. I want Pookie to understand that we have to do what we can to help people in such situations...I want her to have a giving heart.


Anyway, I wanted to give yet another shout-out to Susan over at Living with Punks for putting this Sew Along together, and to Chelsea from Pink Fig Boutique for creating such a cute shirt! Be sure to check out all of the awesome shirts the many participants have made. There's even a boy version!


And now, a few more pics of my most awesome applique t-shirt ever:

No comments: